Wiring advice

Sunlite Touch Sensitive Intelligent Control Keypad

Moderators: simonB, nick, florent, dylan, Ben

dbatba12

Wiring advice

Post by dbatba12 »

Hi all
Sorry i am very new to dmx and want to convert my home analog rgb system to dmx and install 3 Sticks. My only problem is that i have a two storey house with flat roof with solar panels so there is no way to re cable. I have however installed very heavy (10 awg) 5 core cable to each location and have power in most locations. My questions are as follows:
1) can i use the existing wiring to run the dmx signal. I know it is not shielded but it is very heavy does that help with minimising interference?
2) where i dont have power can i run power and earth in three of th cores and data in the other two or would that be too much interference.
Please help i so want to be able to use these controllers.
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: Wiring advice

Post by simonB »

1) can i use the existing wiring to run the dmx signal. I know it is not shielded but it is very heavy does that help with minimising interference?
If it's just a few meters (around 10 meters) it should be fine. For longer distances it depends on the quality of the lighting fixture, the cable and any interference there may be.
2) where i dont have power can i run power and earth in three of th cores and data in the other two or would that be too much interference.
It depends what kind of power. I know some companies who make LED strips and run a 12V power supply alongside the DMX lines on the strip for a few meters with no issues. Really it's something you will have to experiment with.
Simon
--
Sales/Support
dbatba12

Post by dbatba12 »

simonB wrote:
If it's just a few meters (around 10 meters) it should be fine. For longer distances it depends on the quality of the lighting fixture, the cable and any interference there may be.

The longest run is 23m
It depends what kind of power. I know some companies who make LED strips and run a 12V power supply alongside the DMX lines on the strip for a few meters with no issues. Really it's something you will have to experiment with.
Experimenting is a relatively expensive option. The sticks look great but they are not cheap so I don't want to buy one and it doesn't work. Hence hoping someone out there has actually done it and had success and can provide some advice.

BTW the lights I want to put in are DMX wall washers, ie use my existing wiring, take down the old lights and install these wall washers which are 36w 24V.
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

I'm pretty sure you will be fine but there is no way of knowing for sure without trying it. If it did cause interference with the STICK, changing the DMX controller would probably not make a difference as DMX is a standard protocol which all controllers must follow.
Simon
--
Sales/Support