Advice on best set up

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, RichterMC, florent, dylan, Ben

CHNL01

Advice on best set up

Post by CHNL01 »

Hi,
I'm running QLab on a MacBook at the moment only for stills/videos/audio. Would like to extend this by triggering lights via MSC messages out of QLab. I prefer to only have QLab running on my MAc during a show. I assume I would therefore have to work with a stand alone DMX interface that I can load all my cues onto that than during a show can be triggered from QLab. In advance of a show I can than prepare all my light settings and load that onto the interface and check them in Easy View. What would be the best set up for me when using Sunlite Suite 2?
Thx
Cees
RichterMC
Maxi Forumor

Re: Advice on best set up

Post by RichterMC »

Hi CHNL01,

welcome to the Nicolaudie Sunlite Forum.

Since you opened a new topic for this, I delete your double post in the "running SUITE2 on Mac?" topic.

I didn´t know the QLab software and didn´t know what kind of "show" you like to do.
I don´t think it´s a good idea to use the interface internal memory to ran a live show, since possibilities are limited in standalone mode and you need to find a way that QLab software
can trigger the interface somehow.

Maybe it´s best if you tell us some more about your project.
What jobs does the QLab software have and what kind of DMX Lights you like to controll with Sunlite Suite 2.
When we got the full picture of your project, setup and needs we sure can give you some more advice.

Best Gernot
CHNL01

Post by CHNL01 »

Hi,

Thx for the response. Long story........here it goes....

QLab is an excellent piece of software from a company called Figure 53, that is used for show control in a lot of theatres. The basic version (free download) can be used for two channel audio. The version I currently use is updated with a "video license", so I can trigger/animate/fade videos/stills that I use as backdrops during the shows. At the moment I use QLab to run audio (backing tracks/sound fx) and videos/stills, however would like to use the midi functionality in QLab allowing me to use and store Midi messages to for instance trigger light cues (or anything else with Midi functionality on board).
More info on QLab: http://figure53.com/qlab/

The set up I'm thinking about:
a) Software to program light cues on my computer in advance of a show including the functionality to build a virtual rig and preview light settings on screen (e.g. like Capture or WYSIWYG or Easy View).
b) Software should be capable of managing standard fixtures and dimmers but also moving heads, scanners and smoke machines. In smaller set ups I can work with one universe (512 channels), however would like to have more available in case required.
c) I would like to be able to print the rigging set up and all my settings (including DMX channels etc), so I can send this to the theatre technician in advance so he/she can use this when starting the rigging work.
d) Once arriving in the theatre, I connect my MacBook to the theatre set up via DMX and (ideally) the thing should work.
e) During a show I want to (next to controlling audio and video) send Midi Show Control messages from QLab triggering the light cues so the light software or external DMX interface will have to have MIDI functionality.
f) For performance reasons I prefer to run only QLab on my MacBook and therefore think I need an external DMX interface with at least Midi IN on which I can store all my light cues (an example would be the LanBox).
g) Unless it's possible off course to run the light software on my MacBook next to QLab and send internal MIDI messages which then are send out through a USB to DMX interface. This would depend on whether or not running two programs at the same time (QLab and Lights) would be too invasive on performance.

I hope this clarifies my ideas.

cheers
CHNL
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

Hi

You can only trigger the stand alone interface by 3 methods:
-clock/calendar
-Infra Red
-Dry contact ports

I suggest you get a second computer, a (PC or Mac with bootcamp as Suite 2 is not mac compatible). I don't know Q lab but I just ran a google search and noticed it supports MIDI time code. This could be a good way to trigger your scenes in Suite 2. You can make a cycle (like a cuelist) on a timeline and synchronise this with MIDI time code from Qlab.

If you're using Suite 2 you can visualise your lights with EasyView. You will need a Suite2-FC interface to access all the softwares advanced functionality such as midi timecode, patch and fixture positioning reports etc....
Simon
--
Sales/Support
CHNL01

Post by CHNL01 »

Hi Simon,
Thx for your update.

Do you happen to know anyone who runs Sunlite Suite in combination with QLab? Preferably on the same MacBook?

In order to trigger Sunlite via Mid, would I have to go via an external midi trigger (e.g. QLab > external Midi interface > Sunlite) ? Or can I do that internally on the same MacBook?

cheers
Cees
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

I've never even heard of Qlab until now.

You can't run on the same computer because Suite 2 is not mac compatible. you will need either a MIDI interface on each computer, or you will need a MIDI over IP driver
Simon
--
Sales/Support