Some suggestions and workflow optimizations

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, RichterMC, florent, dylan, Ben

RichterMC
Maxi Forumor

Some suggestions and workflow optimizations

Post by RichterMC »

Hi Simon,

here are some suggestions and workflow optimizations for Suite 2:

Button editor circuits window:
- show the fixture name in the header over the faders, the colorcoding is nice, but it gets confusing when dealing with many fixtures.

- add an info box over or under each Fader where the DMX channel and universum is displayed

- add an info box over or under each Fader where the value of this fader is displayed,
at the moment you only see the value when you click on the fader.

- when you assign functions (like on,off,dimmer...) to a fader you have to click on the function, hold the mouse button down and drag it
to the fader. If you want to asign a function to many faders you can hold the Strg key, but the faders have to be neighbours.
If you like to assign functions which are no neighbours you have to go back to the function buttons all the time and drag it again and again.
I would like to see the way this is handled in Suite 1. In Suite 1 you can click on a function and it will stick to to mouse cursor.

Button editor Easy Time Window:
- rearrange the order of steps by dragging and dropping

Button editor Prjecteurs/Fixture Window:

- at the moment you can drag a fixture to an other fixture and the properties are copied,
that´s a great feature. I like to see an option added, maybe by holding down Strg key while dragging/dropping,
so the two fixtures exchange there properties.

Other:

- use JPEG file for background pictures
A the moment only bitmap und Portable Network Graphics (png) are supported

- would be nice to rearrange the order of groups in the fixture windows (drag and drop)

- "save as" option in the button editor.
sometimes I´m editing a button and in the middle of the process I like to save save my work to a new button and
kept the existing button as it is.

- a button to open the palett editor from the button editor window

Best Gernot
RichterMC
Maxi Forumor

Re: Some suggestions and workflow optimizations

Post by RichterMC »

- I really like the new lock features in Suite 2, what im missing is some kind of Kiosk-Mode to make this feature set complete.
The Kiosk-Mode in combination with the lock features would be great for fixed installations where the PC-System running Suite 2 is not always operated by a professional light engineer.
So the facility manager or caretaker can operate the system but can´t close Suite 2, open an other software or browse the harddrives.

Best Gernot
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

show the fixture name in the header over the faders, the colorcoding is nice, but it gets confusing when dealing with many fixtures.
This could be useful for the master page
- add an info box over or under each Fader where the DMX channel and universum is displayed
Not sure if we will have room for a universe num, but we should definitely display the channel number, I have also been asked if it could be possible to then click the box and type a value
If you like to assign functions which are no neighbours you have to go back to the function buttons all the time and drag it again and again.
I would like to see the way this is handled in Suite 1. In Suite 1 you can click on a function and it will stick to to mouse cursor.
See my thoughts on the last topic...I don't think it is necessary but if I get asked by other users maybe we will consider changing something.
- rearrange the order of steps by dragging and dropping
I agree
- at the moment you can drag a fixture to an other fixture and the properties are copied,
I didn't know this!!
I like to see an option added, maybe by holding down Strg key while dragging/dropping,
This is very difficult, because it sounds as though you are assuming that your fixtures are next to each other in the fixture window...how would the software know which fixtures to copy to which?
- would be nice to rearrange the order of groups in the fixture windows (drag and drop)
yep, but i don't think drag and drop is a good idea as they are clicked a lot in live. maybe we could do right click and drag like with the scene buttons...or an up/down button
- "save as" option in the button editor.
yep.. good idea
- a button to open the palett editor from the button editor window
hmmm maybe..you know you can still access the main suite2 window whilst the button editor is open..I guess it could be useful, we'll think about it

Kiosk mode would be useful
RichterMC
Maxi Forumor

Post by RichterMC »

didn't know this!!
Try it out, it really works. :-)
I like to see an option added, maybe by holding down Strg key while dragging/dropping,
This is very difficult, because it sounds as though you are assuming that your fixtures are next to each other in the fixture window...how would the software know which fixtures to copy to which
Not copy but exchange.
The fixture you drop onto an other fixture should exchange there properties.
For example: You click on movinghead 1, hold the mouse button and drag it onto movinghead 5 with the strg key pressed.
Head1 and Head 5 should have exchange there properties, there no need that the fixtures are next to each other in the fixture window.

Best Gernot
RichterMC
Maxi Forumor

Post by RichterMC »

a button to open the palett editor from the button editor window
hmmm maybe..you know you can still access the main suite2 window whilst the button editor is open..
Yes, I know but there are some clicks to perform.
Maybe we don´t need an other button in the button editor, if you right click on a palette in the button editor it could open the palette editor.
Or maybe "strg" + left click on the palette.

Did you see my JPEG request ?
-use JPEG file for background pictures
A the moment only bitmap und Portable Network Graphics (png) are supported
Best Gernot
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

Yeah I saw your JPEG request...we could do this I guess

Double clicking on a palette in the button editor would be a good way to go to the palette editor

I understand what you mean now about exchanging fixture properties, we'll think about it
RichterMC
Maxi Forumor

Post by RichterMC »

Double clicking on a palette in the button editor would be a good way to go to the palette editor
Yeah, double clicking would be fine.
I understand what you mean now about exchanging fixture properties, we'll think about it
Great, think about creating chases in easy step. Here this function would come in handy.
RichterMC
Maxi Forumor

Post by RichterMC »

-> a virtual dimmer for RGB fixtures without a dimmer channel would be nice.
also nice would be that the page dimmer and the Grand-Master dimmer work with RGB fixtures without a dimmer channel.

-> for diagnosis and setup it would be good to have a "Fixture Highlight" feature in the software.
In the fixtures windows could be a button "Highlight" if pressed the fixtures I select in the fixture window show there Lightbeams.
Or maybe holding down "Alt" key and klicking on the fixture could "Highlight" the fixtures.

-> For large screen resolutions like 1920x1080 it would be nice to see to ribbonbar in total.
So you have the "Controller" , "Page" and "Button" tabs all open and side by side.

Best Gernot
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

I suggested this a while back, but I don't think there is an easy way to implement it..it's on the suggestions list.
-> for diagnosis and setup it would be good to have a "Fixture Highlight" feature in the software.
It's kinda possible, go to page settings->patch then click the small icon in the top right. Click the Solo button and the light beam will only show for the selected buttons. I'm gonna see if we can have a button to toggle list view and graphical view so it will look something like this...
xy settings idea.jpg
xy settings idea.jpg (147.13 KiB) Viewed 6261 times
]
-> For large screen resolutions like 1920x1080 it would be nice to see to ribbonbar in total.
hmm not sure. I have a 1920x1200 monitor and I still can't fit all icons in 1 place unless I moved all the beam settings buttons. Maybe we'll see about the possibility to add buttons added to the quick access toolbar. It is currently possible with menu items. For example you can right click settings..general and select "add to quick access toolbar". (you actually can't remove these at the moment, bug I found last week)
RichterMC
Maxi Forumor

Post by RichterMC »

I suggested this a while back, but I don't think there is an easy way to implement it..it's on the suggestions list.
O.K. good to know. This kind off the dimmer already exist in the colormixing windows of Suite 2.
for diagnosis and setup it would be good to have a "Fixture Highlight" feature in the software.
It's kinda possible, go to page settings->patch then click the small icon in the top right. Click the Solo button and the light beam will only show for the selected buttons. I'm gonna see if we can have a button to toggle list view and graphical view so it will look something like this...
Looks good, but I would like to see the Highlight feature also in the fixtures windows of the main software for quick access.
I like the idea to switch to a graphical view in the patch window,as well.
hmm not sure. I have a 1920x1200 monitor and I still can't fit all icons in 1 place unless I moved all the beam settings buttons. Maybe we'll see about the possibility to add buttons added to the quick access toolbar. It is currently possible with menu items. For example you can right click settings..general and select "add to quick access toolbar". (you actually can't remove these at the moment, bug I found last week)
I´m not sure if you get me right,I only like to see all menu items in a row side by side, it would fit my 1920x1080 well, also with the master Dimmer, Iris and Zoom enabled.