Moving Files?

Speak about discontinued products here such as Sunlite 2004, 2002, 2000, ESA 2007 and EasyView 2004.

Moderators: simonB, RichterMC, florent, dylan

crystaltiamat

Moving Files?

Post by crystaltiamat »

My company has a P3 spotlight, and we have a computer that (sort of) runs Sunlite to control the gobo changer inside the light. We had the people we bought the light from set up the show (it runs on a 24 hour cycle, it's supposed to be relatively hands-of) that starts as soon as you open the software.

The PC that came with the light and this software on it (it's piecemeal) is dying. By inches. I'm faced with eitehr getting a crash course in lighting control (I'm the IT coordinator which is how this fell to me) or finding a way to move the show from this PC to another PC, preferably a stable one.

The company we bought all of this stuff from no longer exists. They fell off the face of the Earth 2 months after we bought all this stuff from them.

I can't find any of the files, I can't play with the software since it starts running the cycle as soon as you start the program.

Help!
Jarno

Post by Jarno »

Well, moving a show to a new PC is not that hard to do I suppose.
I am presuming quite a lot here: You are a nerd ;) (since you're in the IT coordinator...) and you have Sunlite, so I'll jump right to the technical terms.
The only thing you have to do is the following simple steps to set up your new and improved P3 spot-controller:

*** First make a backup of the whole system! Better safe then sorry! ***

1. backup the necessary files of your sweetlight instance.
You had best do that by copying or burning your \light_data folder to a removable drive. You might want to copy your \ScanLibrary folder as well. You are most likely to find those in the C-drive in the C:\SL200x\ folder where X stands for your version (either 0, 2 or 4). If the folder is not there, try a search for *.SSL files on the PC, which will most likely point you in the right direction. SSL-files are used for the scanlibrary in sunlite.

2. Get a new stable PC, or fix the hardware and OS of your other one.

3. Download the right version of sunlite and the interface driver at http://www.nicolaudie.com/cgi-bin/bin?s ... t=download
You can check the version you are using running Sunlite and choosing "?" and "About" in the main menu.

4. Connect the interface to the PC and the DMX cable

4. Install the SunLight software and interface driver in your new PC.

5. Copy back the two folders you backed up to the C:\SL200x\ folder you created during install, and run the software. Things should be OK and running smoothly when you start up.

Let me know how it works out! Feel free to ask if anything is unclear.
Jarno

Post by Jarno »

[EDIT]

posted same message twice ;) crappy forum server...

[/EDIT]
crystaltiamat

Post by crystaltiamat »

It moved all the files for the show, but the show is now in a list with a bunch of other stuff, I guess they're demos that install when you install Sunlite ... it won't let me get rid of them, and I also can't get it to start my show upon program load (actually I'm not sure how to run the show period. We didn't get ANY training on the software, we were just told "it will run the light.")

Ugh.
C_Gregory

Sunlite setup issues

Post by C_Gregory »

If you're desperate and don't mind zipping everything up, I'm Happy to try and set everything up so that you can install using an executable zip file that I'll email back to you, hopefully within 48Hrs.

REGARDS

Chris Gregory