an introduction, and several questions

Speak about discontinued products here such as Sunlite 2004, 2002, 2000, ESA 2007 and EasyView 2004.

Moderators: simonB, RichterMC, florent, dylan

Merlin

an introduction, and several questions

Post by Merlin »

Hello all,

I am a keyboard player in a club here in Thailand, and the owner has asked me to look at the lighting system. I'm not really a lighting guy, although I've hired and operated lights before, quite a long time ago, in the days of analog desks and par cans. I do have basic knowlege of digital desks and something of a grasp of DMX and moving lights. For NYE shows in 2001 and 2002 I hired a digital desk and some trackspots. But I've never worked with a computer based lighting system before.

The local guys working the lights every night are only using the half dozen or so scenes/chases that the installer programmed in when the system was put in several years ago. I [and the boss :!: ] want to "freshen up" the look, as well as set up some programmed set scenes/chases for different songs, etc. So my task has been set: first learn the system, then teach it to the Thai locals...

So I looked over their shoulder the other night and saw your URL www.nicolaudie.com on the top of the software, and got on the net looking for --eh heh-- "enlightenment" :idea:
Here are the questions I have, in no particular order:
  • The software they [we] are running is "Sunlite2000" - but I couldn't find an owners manual anywhere on your site for it. Are you still supporting it? Where can I download the manual from?
  • I downloaded the latest version of the software [2004] from your site, and put it on my laptop to try it [I didn't want to risk breaking an already working system...] But when I tried to start it I got this error message: You need to install DAS-OCX to use this software. What is "DAS-OCX", and where do I get it from?
  • There doesn't seem to be any help button on the software, nor anything obvious in the folders. There is a "?" at the end of the menus, but pressing it does nothing.
  • I read somewhere that these systems sometimes use a parallel port connected DMX adaptor, and some use USB. How can I tell what we've got, without crawling under the desk/into the wall to find out? [scary thought - if I go in there, I might not come out! :? ]
  • Is there a way to have the chase step through the scenes in time to the music by listening to the mic input on the soundcard? [I'm assuming it will have a standard soundcard on the motherboard - this country seems to be the land of the "all in one" motherboard!]
  • ok, one silly question to finish: I'm guessing your software is windoze only? Do you have a Linux version?
Sorry if any of these questions are just too basic, and please, no newbie flames. I hope to be able to get this system working to it's capabilities and really "wow" ppl - and possibly impress a few other club owners and future buyers too!!!
Thanks a lot in advance for any help/guidance/advice you can give me 8) :lol:
PM-LIGHT

Post by PM-LIGHT »

Dear Merlin,

The Downloads you have requested are available on the main site (http://www.nicolaudie.com) under Downloads.

> DAS-OCX.exe (http://nicolaudie.com/big/DAS-OCX.exe) Run this.
> ENG Help (http://nicolaudie.com/big/manual_2004.chm) Download into the Sunlite install dir.
> Sunlite uses a USB port on you computer/laptop.
> Sound activated YES. Sunlite has a program called 'Audio Analysis'. You need to run this to get the Chaser (in one of the racks) to respond to sound.
> I think there is only a Windows version of Sunlite at the moment.

Hope this reply is ok.
Good luck!

Phil @ PM:LX :idea:
Merlin

Post by Merlin »

thanks for the tip on DAS-PCX, Phil.

But the help file you mentioned is for the 2004 version - I'd already seen that. Do you know where I can get the one for the 2000 version?

TIA
PM-LIGHT

Post by PM-LIGHT »

I can't see a download for the 2000 Help File on the Portal.

Please try PM one of the Members of staff, or email [email protected].

Sorry i can't help you with this one.

Have Fun!
Phil