Trigger scenes with MIDI (keys)

Sunlite Suite, the lighting control software which even outshines most of the consoles available on the market !

Moderators: simonB, RichterMC, florent, dylan

RobinJacobsson

Trigger scenes with MIDI (keys)

Post by RobinJacobsson »

Hi, I have a few questions.

Is Sunlite Suite 1 running on Windows 10?

I am playing in a band, and we are using Sunlite Suite 1 on a laptop.
I am going to buy a new laptop and run backtracks through it in Cakewalk.
I will add a MIDI-track in the sequencer that I want to send to Sunlite Suite on the same computer.
Is it possible to route the signal internal from Cakewalk to SS1 or would it work if I connect a MIDI-cable from the soundcard's out to it's in?
nick
Maxi Forumor

Re: Trigger scenes with MIDI (keys)

Post by nick »

(Please note: the information in this post is incorrect and has been removed.)
Nicolaudie Tech Support
RobinJacobsson

Post by RobinJacobsson »

Ah okay, but I was looking at a few computers and it seems like there is also Windows 8 installed on some of them.
Would it work with Windows 8, or Windows 7 if I re-install it?
I will look at the upgrades, but right now I have other expenses like PA, computer, new lights and so on so it would be great if I could make it work with the old version of Sunlite!

And regarding the routing of MIDI, I guess it would work if I put a MIDI cable (hardware) between the audiointerface's MIDI in and out?
nick
Maxi Forumor

Post by nick »

Hi Robin,

I am sorry for giving you the wrong information before but I have learned we do still support Sunlite Suite 1 in Windows 10. I have tried the software again and it works. Please see attached image. This is the version from 18 Aug 2015.

Kind Regards,

Nick.
Attachments
Sunlite Suite18 August 2015
Sunlite Suite18 August 2015
Screen Shot 2016-03-01 at 15.42.54.png (182.76 KiB) Viewed 8528 times
Nicolaudie Tech Support
Superbaloo8
Experienced Forumor

Post by Superbaloo8 »

Hi Robin,

Please pay attention with Sunlite Suite 1, it works only on Windows 32 bits version!!!

Majority of new PC are 64bits one, it is very hard to find only 32bits.

So yes, the software run with Window in 64bits, but the DMX interface will not work.

1st solution:
- Find 32bits PC

2nd solution:
- After buying the new PC, you'll need to have window 32bits available somewhere to install it (not easy to go from 64bits OS to 32bits OS :( )

3rd solution:
- Upgrade to Sunlite Suite 2 which have DMX interface supported on Window 32 & 64 bits

Best regards,

Sylvain
Sunlite Suite 2
  • Interface Economy Class
  • Akai APC mini, Akai APC 40 mkII & Elation Midicon
LightJockey
  • @MixLightEvent (31) France
  • @Podium La Peña 31 (31) France
Spb8 Lighting - Sunlite Suite 2 Services
Forum Français Sunlite Suite
RobinJacobsson

Post by RobinJacobsson »

Thanks for your answer, I appreciate it!

I think i will go for a new laptop, find a version of a Windows 7 32-bit and re-install the laptop. That would work then?

I don't think I got an answer for my last question, I am going to run Cakewalk Sonar to run the backtracks (I want to play the project with different tracks routed to different outputs on the soundcard without any need to open the projects, because there is no time for that between the songs) using their "Playlist". I am going to set up a MIDI-track in each project with keynotes that I want to send to Sunlite Suite on the same computer to trigger different scenes/buttons. Is it possible to recieve the MIDI-signals internal in the computer or would it work to connect a MIDI-cable from the soundcards MIDI out to it's MIDI in without getting some kind of loop?

Thanks!

By the way Superbaloo8, I see you are from Toulouse, our drummer here in Sweden, Leo Margarit, is from Carcassonne :D
Superbaloo8
Experienced Forumor

Post by Superbaloo8 »

It is with a great pleasure that I've answer and will try to answer again :)

With all version of windows 32 bits you can run Sunlite Suite 1, before to switch definitively to SSL2, I was on W10 32bits and it was working well.

I'm not so aware about midi input from audio with Sunlite, this is one of my lacking knowledge. But I assume that midi is well supported in SSL1 (maybe not as the same level as SSL2, but it shall works).

You can specify any midi note in value to trigger any switch/scene or either cycle. That's easy, and by reading again your first message I think you know how to do.

After for the re-routing of midi signal on the same computer, I think it can be possible with some programs like midiYoke, but still there, i'm lacking some knowledge as SSL2 is working very fine for me with simple midi console usage.

Hope this little message will help you a little bit, instead, it's been a pleasure to talk with someone from Sweden which is playing with a guy born in the same town where I was living some years ago, many years ago to be exact :P
Sunlite Suite 2
  • Interface Economy Class
  • Akai APC mini, Akai APC 40 mkII & Elation Midicon
LightJockey
  • @MixLightEvent (31) France
  • @Podium La Peña 31 (31) France
Spb8 Lighting - Sunlite Suite 2 Services
Forum Français Sunlite Suite