Customizing Moving Head Models

Easy view 2006, the ideal “3D real time” simulation to visualize stage and lights simultaneously !

Moderators: simonB, nick, RichterMC, florent, dylan, Ben

buttza
New Forumor

Customizing Moving Head Models

Post by buttza »

Hi, I was wondering if it is possible to create our own custom moving head models. There are no flat LED moving head wash models. Just wondering if there would be any created or if we can modify the models to create our own. Thanks.
buttza
New Forumor

Re: Customizing Moving Head Models

Post by buttza »

I am quite willing to make the moving head models myself but I am just wondering what format they need to be saved in to be added to the list of available heads. :)
FDAGUER

Post by FDAGUER »

Hi Buttza,
Yes you can create your own moving heads.

First, you should orientate your 3D model in order to get the base at the top, the yoke underneath and then the head. The latter should point to the floor.
See attached screenshot.

As Easy View needs to control individually the head (for tilting), the yoke (for panning) and the base, you will have to split your original 3D object into these 3 parts.
Once you get your 3 distinct objects, save them with the DirectX (*.x) file format.
If your 3D modeler doesn't export to the DirectX file format, you will have to use a 3D file converter.
I recommend Okino's PolyTrans : http://www.okino.com/conv/filefrmt.htm

Give the same file name to each part, and change the extension from 'x' to :
- x1 for the base
- x2 for the yoke
- x3 for the head
For example, you will have these 3 files : my_fixture.x1, my_fixture.x2, my_fixture.x3.
Put these files in the subdirectory EasyViewLibrary\Fixtures\Heads.

Start the program "Scanlibrary Editor" (Scanlib.exe).
Open your SSL2 library and click on the moving head icon, at the top/left.
In the list of the moving heads models, you should see yours ('my_fixture').
buttza
New Forumor

Post by buttza »

Thank you so much. That really helps. I will make my own moving head models. Have you used this process before? I am going to try and make some LED Heads. Thanks again for the info. :)
buttza
New Forumor

Post by buttza »

Ok. So I did as you suggested however the Head model will not open. Doesn't even show in preview.

I guess there is one more step between exporting to .x and renaming the file to .x1 or .x2 or .x3.
Is there some other attribute required before loading them?

When I open my model in a .x viewer I can see each part of the model fine.
When I open an existing model from the fixture \heads\ folder it doesn't open. This leads me to believe that the .x1 or .x2 or .x3 have a different attribute added in order to be recognized in SLMEV.

Do you have any more information regarding the last step?

Thanks

Robert.