Adjusting Fixtures 90 Degrees

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, RichterMC, florent, dylan, Ben

jkasko

Adjusting Fixtures 90 Degrees

Post by jkasko »

I know that you can use the invert pan and invert tilt to adjust fixtures. I have a set of fixtures that I want to set to be rotated 90 degrees from their base setting. Is there a way to do this in the program at the fixture level?

Thanks.

-Joe Kasko
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: Adjusting Fixtures 90 Degrees

Post by simonB »

You can use the pan/tilt limitations dialog which can be accessed from page settings->patch. Click the small XY icon in the top right. More info here: http://www.nicolaudie.com/online_manual ... gY7Js2.htm
Simon
--
Sales/Support
marius4560
New Forumor

Post by marius4560 »

I tried the page settings - patch and then change this, but the default position didn't change. It just changed the behaviour of the fixture. Is there any way to just "turn" the fixtures default position so that they point the same direction even in stand by?
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

you could edit the init button or create a palette called 'Center' and use it as a starting point when you're building scenes
Simon
--
Sales/Support
marius4560
New Forumor

Post by marius4560 »

Not sure you know what I mean, none of your solutions fixed my problem.

Here is a file of what I mean:
https://www.yousendit.com/download/M3Bu ... Y1FpR01UQw

In the "show" file there is 8 Showtec Expression lights moving in a simple Tilt move.

In the "Stage" file there are 4 heads on top, and 2 on each side. Because of the trusses and the light clamps I am limited to hanging the sideheads tilted 90 degrees sideways, instead of hanging all the lights the same way.

This means, that when I turn on "Tilt move" the lights will not move the same way, but towards the centre. When I put on something like "circle", the lights will move out of sync and it doesn't look very good.

But I don't want to adjust each light in the edit menu for each movement I want to make. I would like to just fix the settings of the necessary lights so that they are all moving the same way. Most professional light consoles let me do this, but I can't find the setting in Sunlite Suite 2.

How can I fix this?
marius4560
New Forumor

Post by marius4560 »

You have to right click the file and "save as".
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

I see your problem now. I thought this could be solved with the pan tilt limitations but actually you need to OFFSET your X values as opposed to SCALE them. I.e if you look at that square in the pan/tilt limitations dialog, instead of resizing it you need to move it to the right.

In suite 1 this was possible, you could enlarge the background to 200% for offsetting values but it seems that we have missed this in suite2.

We are going to implement this, but it's quite a big job so it will take some time. For now, the only solution is to scale the X axis down by 1/4 and then offset it. This means that you will lose 1/4 of the X axis from your rear moving heads aswell as your side ones and all your effects will be 45 degress to the right but unfortunately this is the only option for now. You must also make sure your side heads are rigged in the same direction, at the moment your 2 heads on the left are pointing -90 and the ones on the right are pointing +90. I have rotated your heads on the right 180 degrees and I have attached the amended show.
Attachments
stage.evs
(14.3 KiB) Downloaded 524 times
Demonstration_1.shw
(75.7 KiB) Downloaded 545 times
Simon
--
Sales/Support
marius4560
New Forumor

Post by marius4560 »

Aha okay. I don't really want to loose part of the axis field as I use different movements on the lights, and want to be able to move them all over the room. I will try to hang all my lights the same way for now, and wait for your update :)

But the update is sorely needed, since using a computer (Open Labs Dbeat actually) is already frowned upon in the "proffesional" enviroment... and if I say the program can't even do this very important feature when everything is rigged,and we have to re-rigg stuff because of it, it will surely be more frowned upon. And I don't like that. This is the only real problem I have met using Sunlite Suite proffesionally, apart from that it is amazing! :)

So please, fix this as soon as possible, so I don't have to make bad excuses when rigging ;)

Marius
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

It's high priority so it will done within the next month or so
Simon
--
Sales/Support
marius4560
New Forumor

Post by marius4560 »

Did you fix this? Is it possible to "turn" a moving head as if I was physically turning it around now?
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

This feature has not been added yet as we have been very busy on other things. It is still on our high priority to do list and I hope we will find the time to implement this over the summer. Sorry for the delay.
Simon
--
Sales/Support
cbabbman
Junior Forumor

Post by cbabbman »

It's been a year since the last post in this thread... so I thought I would ask if this has ever been implemented...

I have the same situation and I cannot seem to resolve it.

I have 2 Q-Spots that have to be hung at a 90 deg angle from what all my other moving heads mount. Because of this, I cannot seem to correlate the movements between the software, Easy View and my fixtures... Basically, everything is off by 90 from what the software is telling it, what Easy View shows and more importantly, what the fixture is actually doing... all very confusing...

Please let me know..

Thanks
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Post by simonB »

Hi

Yes this was implemented, we actually wrote a note about this on our Facebook page in July which you can view here:
https://www.facebook.com/notes/nicolaud ... 9655557116
Simon
--
Sales/Support
cbabbman
Junior Forumor

Post by cbabbman »

Thanks Simon... I'll give this a go...
cbabbman
Junior Forumor

Post by cbabbman »

OK, I need to verify my observations on this...

I was finally able to get everything lined up between Sunlight Suite2, Easy View 3D and my lights.... now, everything moves the way I expect and Easy View mimics exactly what my lights are doing.

Is it an accurate statement to say that the fixture information section in the ScanLibrary is what is used in Easy View to mimic the fixture?

What I had to do was this...

1) I hung my fixtures as I needed them and left their pan and tilt reverse functions at their default of normal.
2) Went into the Patch Section of the Fixture setup in Sunlite and set my usable area for each fixture
3) I hang one of these at each end of my truss. When one points inward, I want the other pointing inward. To achieve this, I checked the 'Invert X" box of the second fixture.
4) Tested to verify that the fixtures moved the way I expected them to, and they did.
5) In Easy View, I turned the Y Axis for each fixture to 90 Deg.
6) Unfortunately, the fixtures were moving their panning opposite to what my real fixtures were doing.
7) Went into ScanLibrary for this fixture the checked the 'Invert" box for each axis in the general settings for the fixture.
8) reloaded the Fixtures in Easy View
8) Viola... everything moved in real life and on the screen exactly the same.