MTC Nightmare with Sunlite

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, RichterMC, florent, dylan, Ben

awpross
New Forumor

MTC Nightmare with Sunlite

Post by awpross »

Hi there,

I am working a lot with Midi Time Code (MTC) and I always have some Trouble with Sunlite2. Because the shows I create are depending from high timing precision (within milliseconds), I decided to write this Post in the Hope the MIDI Timecode Implementation in Sunlite2 would be optimiced.

I have a good knowledge of the whay how MTC works and how it should be handled. I also have developed my own MTC Sender for PC to send Time Codes to many other applications by using a LAN-MIDI Solution. It took me days to find out, how MTC exactly works as defined in the MIDI Standards. And I found many applications which are doing MTC Timecode the wrong way. More exactly: I couldn't find any application which could send MTC Timecode and doing it the right way. I tried Pangolin Beyond, Madrix, Sunlite2, and also some Audio Programs with MTC. That's why i created my own PCT Timecode sender for PC. Comparing a real Hardware MTC MIDI Sender with my application gives a 99,9% timing accuracy, while other applications are not even comparable.

Here are the Problems with Sunlite2:

1. MIDI Timecode OUT in Sunlite is as far away from the MIDI Standard as possible. If the receiving application fully respects MIDI Standard, it is impossible to sync another app with Sunlite 2. The reason is the way how Sunlite sends the MTC Code over MIDI. It sends the actual Timecode in an endless loop at maximum speed. But does not take the right timing of the quarterframe messages into account. In some applications which are depending on the quarterframes for high precision sync, this leads to gaps and jumping within timecode. Also, when stopping EasyShow, it continues to send out the MTC. But that is not as defined in MIDI Standard. Stopping or pausing should instantly stop the MTC output at all.

2. MIDI Timecode IN in Sunlite is also not like MIDI Standard. Sure, it is working, but it is not as precise as it should and a stopped MIDI timecode leads to a endless audio loop instead of stopping the audio. The reasons are the same as mentioned above. Quarterframe message timing and stopping of MTC is not taken into account.

Best regards
Andreas
simonB
SuperMaxi Forumor

Re: MTC Nightmare with Sunlite

Post by simonB »

Hi Andreas

Is the behaviour in Easy Show and Cycle the same? Please send me an e-mail and I'll forward your comments over to the developers.
Simon
--
Sales/Support