Artnet not sending to Ethernet port

Sunlite Suite 2 is a complete re-design of Suite 1. Please discus any issues here

Moderators: simonB, nick, RichterMC, florent, dylan, Ben

VividRGBLighting

Artnet not sending to Ethernet port

Post by VividRGBLighting »

We have a customer that we setup with an Sunlite suite 2 install with a Suite2 FC+ usb 'key'.
We configured the system last summer and got it working, but that computer blue screened and the client replaced it before we could intervene.

The main problem is that sunlite appears to be sending Artnet data, but it is not actually being sent to the ethernet port.
Or if it is, it is configured in such a way that the receivers are rejecting the them.

When we setup the initial system, we had the same issue, and we thought it was related to a windows update.
At the time we spoke at length with your support techs and we never found a resolution within the software, however I am hopeful that given the time that has past, perhaps the problem has been found?

I have tested three separate machines and all have the exact same problem, but in the last 15 months, they probably had the update installed.
1> The DMX monitor within Sunlite Suite shows lighting levels being sent.
2> ArtNetominiator ON THE LOCAL MACHINE shows lighting levels being sent
3> Devices on the physical network do not show any packets being received.
4> ArtNetominator does not show sunlite suite as a sender on any other computer.

What I know would solve this is to be able to configure Artnet to send to a specific address. Manually configure the universe and IP address of the devices in the configuration of the artnet.

Is this at all possible with Sunlite Suite 2?
Or are you aware of other settings that will force the data to be broadcast, vs only sent to devices that respond to an artnet poll reply?
(although I am not certain this it the problem because I have devices that send poll replies and they also are not receiving data).

I am working to get Wireshark captures to further investigate what is going on.

Sepp
pianomate

Re: Artnet not sending to Ethernet port

Post by pianomate »

Hi Sepp,
i´m working with nearly the same config,a FC+ and 4-6 Artnet universes and never had such a big problem.

To isolate your problem i would like you to be shure to have some things checked. For this please switch off "auto detection" in software preferences / Output Hardware Tab and check "ethernet network" is switched on. Then select the correct interface manually. For the FC Interfaces you have 2 options "usb suite2 fc" and "usb/ethernet suite2 fc" depending on your Hardware, this is important. Then create an artnet output for testing with DMX1 Universe (output) 1 and Artnetnode universe1. Close sunlite.

Next we´ll have a look at your network
The Artnet Standard needs a class A IP address beginning with 2. for example 2.2.2.2 and a subnet mask 255.0.0.0
This address can be added via the Windows control panel dialog Advanced TCP/IP4 Settings.
Also your Node should have an adress in the same IP-range for example 2.2.2.3 and the same subnet mask. What Node you´re using?
For testing i would recommend to disconnect from internet and switch all firewalls off, as perhaps they can block communication to the node. (this was my problem in the beginning working with artnet)

If done, restart the computer(for the changed ip adress), then sunlite and check if the interface is recognized correctly with serial number when starting the software. Normally the interface should work now, as there is nothing more to configure inside SL, if not i would assume that´s due a lack of the network.

Please let me know if that helped....if not ....i have some more ideas :-)

Greets
Maik
Sunlite 2 FC+ and Artnet
self-employed event-technician from near cologne
VividRGBLighting

Thanks Maik,

I'm finishing up another project right now. I will check on this next week.
My gut says everything you asked has been done, but I want to double check step by step.

Sepp.
nick
Maxi Forumor

Post by nick »

Hi Sepp,

Thank you for your help Maik.

I am sorry to hear of the problems you are having. I have put together an updated guide for connecting to Artnet. Please see this attached.

Something to note is that the the new Artnet protocole used by Sunlite Suite 2 beta does not require the computer and Artnet node to be in the IP range 2.0.0.x. So you can use your default Windows IP address, which is typically something like 192.168.1.x. This means you can set your Artnet node to be in the same range.

I would recommend using the latest beta version of Sunlite Suite 2 available here ...
https://www.nicolaudie.com/download.htm

Kind Regards,

Nick.
Attachments
Artnet Setup.docx
(188.36 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
Nicolaudie Tech Support
VividRGBLighting

Hi Nick,

I know it's been awhile since I followed up on this thread... The project fell off the urgent list, but now we are back working on it.

I have downloaded the Beta version - January 2017 version.

I have also followed the list in your attachment... I have success only with one network card.

If I have multiple network cards, then it chooses the card that it thinks is the primary network (192), EVEN THOUGH I have the windows provider order set to use the secondary network card (2) as the primary network. It works when I make the lighting network the 'primary' network card.

I will have to try this on the client's machine to see if the conditions hold - that it is only dependant on which card is being used for the lighting data.

It seems that in this day and age, to be able to be selective about where the data is being sent would be an integral part of the data mapping.
Especially with wireless networks floating all around and devices connecting and disconnecting all the time.
I have one machine that has 5 network cards, 4 of them for lighting...
The other software I test usually has a mapping function, to send specific universes to specific networks/IP addresses.

Regards,
SEPP
nick
Maxi Forumor

Post by nick »

Hi Sepp,

Thank you for your message.

Are you seeing the pop up window to select your network adaptor? (see image) This should allow you to manually select a network adaptor in your PC. I am wondering if, at some point, you checked the box 'Do not ask this question again' and you are no longer able to select it? Please see image attached.

Kind Regards,

Nick.
Attachments
sunlite suite 2 select network adapter.png
sunlite suite 2 select network adapter.png (11.74 KiB) Viewed 7131 times
Nicolaudie Tech Support